Defines individuals with special needs and outlines the evaluation needed to develop an interprofessional healthcare plan. Should be viewed before any other webinars to appreciate the remaining webinars. 30 minutes
- Define individuals with special needs.
- Specify the challenges preventing effective oral care for individuals with special needs.
- Identify the basic elements necessary in evaluating individuals with special needs.
- Describe the core elements necessary in an oral care plan.
- Describe how to develop and teach an oral care plan.
ORAL HEALTH BASICS:
Provides a simplified overview of oral disease. Discusses disease prevention. Provides suggestions for modifying oral care implements. Provides information to help identify oral disease. 45 minutes
- Identify various oral disease processes.
- Describe the importance of preventing oral disease and maintaining good oral health.
- List basic oral hygiene practices and how to use them for maximum plaque removal.
- Describe the significance of oral disease and how it affects overall health.
- Express confidence in communicating about oral disease.
ADDRESSING MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS IN THE ORAL CARE PLAN:
Provides overview of oral health and overall health connection. Discusses modifications needed to address systemic disease during oral care. Focus is on modifications in care, not on understanding the medical complexities or disabilities. 45 minutes
- Describe how medical limitations can affect oral health care.
- Identify basic management techniques necessary to care for various medical challenges.
- Identify interventions that can be used for medically compromised individuals.
- Describe inter-professional communication and referral systems needed to treat individuals with special needs.
NON-PHARMACOLOGIC BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES:
Provides management techniques to overcome resistant and aggressive behaviors. Discusses how to incorporate these techniques in the oral care plan. Provides guidance on consent issues associated with behavior management. 60 minutes
- Identify common management techniques.
- Describe how to incorporate these techniques into the oral care plan.
- Define how behavior management is needed for overall care in addition to oral care.
- Demonstrate how to share these techniques with others.
- Identify what type of consent may be needed for what types of interventions.
MEDICAL IMMOBILIZATION AND PROTECTIVE STABILIZATION (MIPS) FOR PROFESSIONALS:
Builds on the non-pharmacologic behavior management techniques webinar which should be viewed before this webinar. Discusses immobilization and stabilization techniques for use during in office care and home care plans. Stresses how to safely provide immobilization and stabilization during oral care. Provides insight into how to share these techniques with direct care givers and individuals. 45 minutes
- Define restraint, immobilization, and stabilization.
- Describe how to obtain proper consent for the use of MIPS.
- Demonstrate comfort in teaching care givers how to utilize MIPS for oral care plans.
- Describe how to recommend and get MIPS incorporated into an oral care plan.
- Demonstrate how to safely and effectively utilize MIPS in an oral care plan.